1895 Flood in Lauenburg, Elbstraße
Built around 1850, the house at Elbstraße 54 has had a varied history. It was at one time a tavern (Schreyersches Gasthaus), was later used by the Adult Education Center for courses and also served as a recreational center for Italian guest workers, before becoming a dwelling.
Historical photo material
In 1982, the building was listed as a historic monument. It is part of an ensemble of town monuments worthy of special protection with contemporary features typical of the old maritime town of Lauenburg on the Elbe and is located in the immediate vicinity of two cultural monuments: the Maria-Magdalenen-Church and the Elbe Shipping Museum.
On the initiative of the mayor of Lauenburg, Hauke Matthießen, the building remained the property of the town. In 1986 he took over political sponsorship for the ambitious project Künstlerhaus Lauenburg and so, with considerable input and support from the federal government, the state of Schleswig-Holstein, the Duchy of Lauenburg County and the Duchy of Lauenburg Foundation, the old tavern was rebuilt and redesigned as an artists’ house.
Opening Künstlerhaus Lauenburg 1986
Since its inauguration in 1986, more than 200 German and international artists have left their mark as fellows of the Künstlerhaus. While the first generation caused tension in the town and required local residents and artists alike to compromise and adapt, today the Künstlerhaus Lauenburg has grown into an important art support institution in Schleswig-Holstein and has extended its reputation as a provider of international fellowships far beyond the state’s borders.
In 2021, the Stadtgalerie Künstlerhaus Lauenburg will be affiliated with the Künstlerhaus Lauenburg in the neighbouring building, to become a permanent institution for the presentation of an independent program of visual arts.
The Künstlerhaus Lauenburg receives funding from the state of Schleswig-Holstein, the Duchy of Lauenburg County and the town of Lauenburg.
Since 2009, the Förderverein Künstlerhaus Lauenburg/Elbe e.V. has been the owner of the building. Its aim is to maintain it permanently as a place for Fellows and cultural encounters.